I have tried so many recipes to find an edible cookie dough until I had to make one of my own that is delicious. While there are fantastic options at the grocery store, I wanted to make one that was not loaded with a bunch of preservatives. Something I could enjoy right away or the next few days like my frozen yogurt bark.
I have the biggest sweet tooth in the world (AKA I always choose sweet over salt) and have been known to eat regular cookie dough right out of the fridge. This is why I wanted to come up with a recipe that wasn’t raw and that I could feel good about eating.
This recipe is vegan and gluten free. You can please a lot of people with this recipe since it is healthy and omits gluten and animal products.
So let’s make it!
You can follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more recipes and delicious food.
Ingredients For Edible Cookie Dough
The nice thing about this recipe is that you do not need flour, eggs or any dairy products. The ingredients list is essentially pantry products.
The primary base for this edible cookie dough recipe is chickpeas! That’s right, the same thing that you use to make hummus with. It might sound weird, but I promise it works. The chickpeas, when ground up, give a silky smooth texture and have minimal flavor, so we doctor them up to taste like chocolate chip cookies! I have actually seen dessert hummus at grocery stores, so it definitely works and taste good.
Tip: if you have picky eaters in your home, don’t tell them what is in it. Just make it and put it in the fridge – they will come around.
In addition to the chickpeas, you will need brown sugar, salt, vanilla and almond extract, peanut butter, and chocolate chips.
How To Make Edible Cookie Dough
You are going to need a blender or food processor to make your edible cookie dough smooth. The chickpeas have to be smoothed out as much as possible to get a cookie dough consistency. I use a Vitamix (which I did extensive research on before purchasing and found it to be the best one) to make the edible cookie dough and it comes out amazing.
You will want to make sure you drain and rinse your chickpeas when you start this recipe. Rinse the chickpeas a few times to get off what was in the can with them. Do not skip this step, this is crucial.
You will add the chickpeas and all ingredients except the peanut butter and chocolate chips into your blender until it is as smooth as you want it. Then add the peanut butter.
I always remove the edible cookie dough from the blender and taste it before adding chocolate chips. I put it into a bowl and decide if I want to add something else. Maybe you are feeling like you want something sweeter, you can add more brown sugar. Maybe you want a stronger vanilla taste, you can add more vanilla. Or maybe you want more salt. Add some more.
Even though this recipe is great on its own, I recognize that people have different tastes and want to leave room for modifications. Make the recipe and before hand mixing the chocolate chips, taste it to see if you want to add anything else to it.
You can even add nuts if you like!
What To Eat Your Edible Cookie Dough With
There is no wrong way to indulge edible cookie dough! I find I am more of a purest and I will just eat it right out of a bowl, no shame.
However, there are a lot of ways you can eat this. I love graham crackers, apple slices, or if you are feeling real adventurous, you could put the edible cookie dough inside freshly baked cookies. It is actually really good!!
Just have fun with it – it is so good.
Edible Cookie Dough Recipe
- 1.5 Cups Chickpeas Drained and Rinsed Very Well
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Almond Extract
- 2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Peanut Butter - Any kind is fine
- 1/2 Enjoy Life Cup Chocolate Chips (if you aren't vegan, you can use whatever chocolate chips you want)
- Pinch of Salt
- Drain your chickpeas and make sure to rinse thoroughly. You will want to rinse them a few times in a strainer to get the juice from the can off of them completely. Do not skip this step and do not add the juice from the can into the blender. Your edible cookie dough will not taste good if you do that.
- In a blender or food processor, add your chickpeas, brown sugar, almond and vanilla extracts, and blend until you get the smooth consistency you would like to have.
- Add your peanut butter of choice to the mixture and blend again for about 30 seconds.
- Remove your edible cookie dough to a bowl and taste it before you add the chocolate chips. If you want it sweeter, add more brown sugar and mix it. Want it saltier? Add more salt. Adjust the recipe right here to your needs.
- Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup, but if you want more or less you can do that.
- Add any extras that you may want - such as nuts.
- You can eat it right away - but it does get better once it is chilled for a couple hours.
You do need a blender or food processor of sorts to get the chickpeas smooth.
Pin for Pinterest
This post includes affiliate links that we may make a commission from at no extra cost to you.